Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Child support question in Louisiana, Im a co-domicile father

Customer Question

Child support question in Louisiana, I'm a co-domicile father of 2 children with 50/50 custody. I took my ex back to court for contempt of moving out of parish 45 minutes away in with boyfriend not married..2 yrs later still not married had a baby all with a 2 children on her weeks. I still in over a 1 1/2 have gotten a court date. I had a terrible attorney who did not take care of my case but took my money and mislead me to believe court wasn't necessary. After numerous calls on my part to him and no return calls 6 months later I sent him a certified letter firing him and requesting my file mailed to me, and I contacted the Bar to report him & amazingly after that he called me but I did not take his call and a few days later I got my files in the mail but found out that my ex now who has never had to account for anything she's done now is retailiating against me wanting to get more child support. There's no date on the letter from her attorney but I'm lead to believe that this has been requested for a while now but my attorney never notified me. It isn't signed by a judge either. What do you suggest I do? Even though I have never in 4 years been late with my child support she has never paid me back for her part or % ordered of any of the children's medical bills and over a $1000 in dental responsibility. I end up paying everything but she's requesting me pay more child support? I thought you have to have a better reason to request & you have to be caught up with your end of the responsibilities as well?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
1) To modify the existing child support, all you need to show is a change in circumstances which can mean an increase or decrease in income or an increase or decrease in the child's needs. Further some support orders allow for periodic review without having to show any changes.

2) Just based on the information you have provided, I'm not sure what you have been given by her attorney. But if you wish to find out if a case has been initiated you can request review of your court file. If the State is involved in your child support case you can contact the department of children and family services to see if she opened an account.

http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/

3) In regards XXXXX XXXXX non-reimbursement, that is something you can handle through a contempt action. You can also wait until a support hearing takes place and ask the court to take that into consideration to adjust the support amount accordingly.

4) Since you are no longer represented you can contact her attorney to ask for clarification regarding any hearings and notification of such hearings.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing has been done through the state. Plus I'm paying the exact amount that the court told me to pay last time. And I'm the only one following the papers because she certainly not. Livinging with boyfriend, moved out of the parish where we were awarded 50/50 custody. I now have the children more because they go to the school in my district and they come to my house everyday. I feed them and help them with there homework even on her weeks and typically she doesn't even pick them up she sends a sister or her mom to come get them. And my oldest daughter stays with me every Wednesday even on the weeks she should be with her mom so that she can go to church with me and my wife and her kids. My health insurance as it does every year has gone up and even though I've had a small pay increase I don't feel as if that would account for me having to pay her more since I'm the only one doing for the children anyway. Can't I ask for a legal report of where all the child support goes on the money I already give her?

No, you don't have the authority to demand accounting of where the money goes. However if you are being the primary caretaker it is possible to request a change in custody or at least an adjustment in support to reduce her amount since you have them more than she does.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I asked another question after the last one but I never got a reply or I don't see it. But I don't see my reply additional question either. I was asking if they were sure about not being able to ask for an accounting of where & what the child support I give to the mother is going to, because I've had to Attorneys tell me that there is a form or proceedure that you can do to request the mother to show what she in fact does with the Child Support.