VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Adoption
10801190

What is the status of alimony and child care if the man remarries

What is the status of alimony and child care if the man remarries and has kids from hs second marriage?

VanDLaw :

VanDLaw :

I need a bit more information from you. Who is paying alimony to whom?

If the person receiving the alimony remarries, the alimony terminates, unless the final judgment says otherwise.

The paying spouse may be able to file a modification of alimony if their expenses have increased, and they are unable to pay the original amount, again unless the final judgment states otherwise; and this is an uphill battle to get it lowered based on this. Nothing happens to child support, the new spouse's income does not get calculated into child support calculations.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry, I did not know you were on chat.

The paying parent has substantial income, and will not have any problem paying the alimony and child support agreed.
Then there would be no 'substantial change in circumstance' to warrant an alimony modification. The alimony would be unaffected by a remarriage or subsequent children, there would have to a change to warrant the modification. If there is none, then alimony would remain.