VanDLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Adoption

I am an adult male living in florida. my father lives here

I am an adult male living in florida. my father lives here also. recently, an adult female contacted us saying that she is my half sister. can i petition the court to have her dna tested to see if she is in fact my half sister
Category: Family Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 5 years ago.

The answer is, without a court order, No. If when your father passes away she tries to make a claim against the Estate, then through that process she would have to prove she was a child of the decedent in Probate Court.

You do not have any legal standing to Petition the court, if either your Father or alleged half-sister initiated a paternity action, it would have to be for a reason i.e. child support, etc. Since your Petition has already been denied, there is really no other recourse other than an appeal--but it is highly likely you would not prevail in this.

If your Father doubts her claim, he should make sure that he has a valid Will in place. You can disinherit children in Florida, but you cannot disinherit spouses.