Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

how to have a child declared incorrigible

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 3 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Can you tell me a little more about your situation?

Steven Kincaid :

In Louisiana, an incorrigible child is one that disrupts the order in their school. Is that what you are trying to find out about?

Steven Kincaid :

Or are you talking about a situation where a parent cannot control their child and needs court intevention?

Steven Kincaid :

intervention

Steven Kincaid :

Also, what Parrish are you in?

Customer :

Hello, The child is in Bossier Parish, she is 17, consistantly skipping school, using marajuana, has taken pills twice, "runs away" with her boyfriend. threatens her mother with "I'll call the cops" Her uncle, my brother and his wife, took her for a period of time placed her in school (in DeSoto Parish) she is failing, stashed marijuana in their home, stole items from her cousin (their duaghter) posted pictures of herself on the internet in just her bra. We NEED SOME HELP with HER!

Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer (name blocked for privacy) :

Expert:  Steven K. replied 3 years ago.
There is a court program in Louisiana called "FINS" (Family In Need of Services). It is a way of getting court assistance without prosecuting the child for a crime.

That link shows the process for getting help. Essentially, FINS services are available in many different situations, including the following:

1. Child is truant or has wilfully and repeatedly violated lawful school rules
2. Child is ungovernable
3. Child is a runaway
4. Child repeatedly possessed or consumed alcohol, or that he has misrepresented his age for the purpose of purchasing or receiving alcohol, or has repeatedly loitered around any place where such alcohol is the principal commodities sold or handled.
5. Child committed an offense applicable only to children. [Smoking/purchasing tobacco.
6. Child under 10 years of age committed any act which if committed by an adult would be a crime under any federal, state, or local law.

By making a FINS complaint, you could access services that will address the underyling causes of pre-delinquent behavior. The FINS program will interview the family and develop a service plan. They will then monitor the plan. This process does not get your child in trouble and is not intended to be a punishment.

Can I provide you with any additional information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! We are at the end of our rope!
Expert:  Steven K. replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome!