Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

i need a pro bono lawyer. i have to get my biological son back

Customer Question

i need a pro bono lawyer. i have to get my biological son back from his co-parent who is doing everythin to keep him from me as well as telling him i am not his parent
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 6 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Can you explain to me how your former partner established parentage? Did she adopt your child or was she determined to be the parent because she was your registered domestic partner?

JACUSTOMER-01k3nil7- :

she was found to be his second mother because of the uniform parentage act and our domestic partnership

JACUSTOMER-01k3nil7- :

we had a notorize statement from the donor that stated that she was to adopt him. she obtained the second parent adoption after 2 years. in which e paper were finalized and she left filing custody shortly after. this whole process is really hard for me and am at my witts end.

Steven Kincaid :

Under those circumstances, the fact that you are the biological mother gives you no advantage. Custody and visitation will be awarded solely on what the court believes is in your child's best interests. There is not a lot of guidance under California law as to what that means and a child's best interests is determined on a case by case basis.

Steven Kincaid :

Can you tell me on what basis your former partner was awarded primary custody? Common reasons are that that party was the stay at home parent or primary caregiver for the child. In other situations, there are findings of domestic violence or a fear that one parent will alienate the child from the other party. Do you know why this happened in your situation? Also, how long ago did it happen and were you awarded any visitation rights?