Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

What is the correct title to use if you only have a filed divorce

What is the correct title to use if you only have a filed divorce decree on record and years later now want to modify what is in that decree...in particular, joint managing conservator to sole custody...do I use this title: Petition in Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, this title: Order in Suit Affecting Parent-Child Relationship, this title: Petition to Modify Parent-Child Relationship, or this title: Order in Suit to Modify Parent-Child Relationship?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

It appears you want to file a Petition to Modify the Parenting Plan. This Petition may have a different name in your jurisdiction. Please tell me what state you reside in and I will see if I can find a form
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Texas

At this link you will find a free download of all of the documents required to change child support and custody orders:
http://www.texaslawhelp.org/documents/clusters/TX/198/English/modification.shtml

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. I actually knew of this link already, but was wanting more of a precise answer. Can you push this back out to the pool of experts? I want to see what others may know who are family with Texas law. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
...familiar with Texas law. Thanks.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

The title you need is "ORIGINAL PETITION TO MODIFY THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP"

Can I answer any additional questions for you?
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence