Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

I am an adult. I would like to change my name. Do my parents

I am an adult. I would like to change my name. Do my parent's get served a notice by the court if I do this? Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.

Dear Customer - Your parents would not be entitled to any special notice. The public notice would be the same as for anyone since the court records are public but there would be no special notice sent to your parents if you are over 18. No one under 18 could even apply for a name change.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you. So the sheriff does not come and deliver anything to me at home? I would rather my parents did not know I am doing this. Also, if there are two newspapers in my county, can I choose which one it goes in? Thanks.

I cannot see why the sheriff would deliver anything. You would simply be filing a name change action in the probate court. The court will publish in whatever paper they use so you have no control over where it is published.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long would it take to be published do you think? They said if I get it in by Jan.6, it would be changed by February 14th. Also, the lady at the court said I could get a new social security number? Is this the case? I would like to change to my maternal grandfather's last name, I have decided. Also, in 2008 an elderly woman hit my car twice in the front of my vehicle. I have been recovering ever since. She "forced" me into a bankruptcy in Jan. 2009 as a result of my being unable to work. Do you think this would prevent me from obtaining a new social security number, also? Thanks.

can't change your grandfather's name and the Social Security Number would have to be addressed with the Social Security office. That is a Federal issue and the state court cannot change the number. I have no way of knowing when the action would be published but if they told you that it could be done by February then I would assume the case would be published immediately.

If the court finds that your are trying to deceive creditors by changing your identity your application could be denied. That will be up to the court so I can't tell you what they will decide.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The girl at the court said I "could" change to my grandfather's last name. That is "not" the case? I do not have that many bills right now and I pay someone to handle that aspect of things. The bankruptcy was already discharged. So it has nothing to do with creditors. I pay my bills on time now. So, are you saying I cannot change my last name to my mom's dad's name as he is deceased? Thanks.

Yes you can change your name to your grandfather's. I thought you wanted to change your grandfather's name. Sorry I misunderstood.

Dave

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney