Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence

In a divorce proceeding, is there an alternative available

Customer Question

In a divorce proceeding, is there an alternative available for one spouse (petitioner for divorce) to not have to appear in person for an Order to Show Cause (filed by the respondent spouse for the primary purpose of establishing temporary maintenance) hearing in Wisconsin, when the first-referenced spouse is presently living in Pennsylvania with no intention of returning to Wisconsin to live, now or in the future? The petitioner for divorce is not represented by an attorney, but the respondent is represented by an attorney.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

May I ask which county the court is in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Grant County. The Order to Show Cause hearing is before a family court commissioner at his office in Platteville, Wisconsin on January 6, 2011. The location is approximately 650 miles from my current residence in Pennsyulvania.
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.
Many counties in Wisconsin have local court rules allowing parties to a proceeding to appear telephonically. Although Grant County does not have such a local rule, they may, nonetheless, permit telephonic appearances. You can contact the court on Monday and ask if/how they allow telephonic appearances for out of state parties.

If not, there is no other option, other than either showing up or sending an attorney to appear on your behalf.