How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued for child support. My ex-girl and I used to

Resolved Question:

I am being sued for child support. My ex-girl and I used to live together in Pennsylvania. When we broke up I knew she was pregnant but I had my doubts about me being the father. She moved back to Michigan (Where she is from) with her parents I moved to New Jersey with some family. I received the summons from the state of Michigan telling me I have 21 days to answer (28 days becuase it was served out of state). I called the court's clerk and they as such transfered me to the prosecutor's office, I explained to them that I all I want is a DNA paternity test and from there if it is indeed my child I would then proceed with the child support arrangements. But they told that I still have to reply to the court otherwise they can rule against me. I don't know how to reply to them or what forms to use and how do I put it in legal terms that I want the partenity test before my 28 days are up which it should be farely soon and I still have to mail this in to them?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



You can request a Continuance on the matter at hand. You will write a letter using the court case you have and request a continuance so you can get a Paternity test completed. You will mail the request to the clerk of the court via certified mail with return receipt requested. After you are certain it has been received, you need to contact the court and see if your continuance has been granted. Do not assume it has. If it has not, then you need to appear in court or whatever she is requesting may be granted in default


Then you need to file to have the Paternity test Ordered. So you will need to Petition that same court for an Order.


Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there any particular form to use, legal language and or websites where I can access this information? If I new how to answer/write the letter and what to put on it so it gets taken seriuosly and accepted I wouldn't be asking for help through here..

Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



NJ does not have forms online. You need to get the Paternity Forms from court in your county. The letter just simply says you are requesting a continuance. I cannot write it for you. I can only tell you what needs to be done


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Useless. I already knew the information you gave me.

Related Family Law Questions