Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am being sued for child support. My ex-girl and I used to

I am being sued for child support. My ex-girl and I used to live together in Pennsylvania. When we broke up I knew she was pregnant but I had my doubts about me being the father. She moved back to Michigan (Where she is from) with her parents I moved to New Jersey with some family. I received the summons from the state of Michigan telling me I have 21 days to answer (28 days becuase it was served out of state). I called the court's clerk and they as such transfered me to the prosecutor's office, I explained to them that I all I want is a DNA paternity test and from there if it is indeed my child I would then proceed with the child support arrangements. But they told that I still have to reply to the court otherwise they can rule against me. I don't know how to reply to them or what forms to use and how do I put it in legal terms that I want the partenity test before my 28 days are up which it should be farely soon and I still have to mail this in to them?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

You can request a Continuance on the matter at hand. You will write a letter using the court case you have and request a continuance so you can get a Paternity test completed. You will mail the request to the clerk of the court via certified mail with return receipt requested. After you are certain it has been received, you need to contact the court and see if your continuance has been granted. Do not assume it has. If it has not, then you need to appear in court or whatever she is requesting may be granted in default

Then you need to file to have the Paternity test Ordered. So you will need to Petition that same court for an Order.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any particular form to use, legal language and or websites where I can access this information? If I new how to answer/write the letter and what to put on it so it gets taken seriuosly and accepted I wouldn't be asking for help through here..

Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hi

NJ does not have forms online. You need to get the Paternity Forms from court in your county. The letter just simply says you are requesting a continuance. I cannot write it for you. I can only tell you what needs to be done

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Useless. I already knew the information you gave me.