Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I live in Ga and am paying child support, the case was opened in maryland how can i try to

Customer Question

I live in Ga and am paying child support, the case was opened in maryland how can i try to get them to lower my child support payments since im not in the same state? My gross income a week is 468.80, each week i get deducted from my pay check 123.09 so a month im paying 492.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Maryland retains jurisdiction over the child support until and unless Maryland agrees to relinquish jurisdiction to another state. If your child no longer resides in Maryland you may petition the court to move jurisdiction to Georgia.

As long as Maryland retains jurisdiction over the child support, Maryland child support guideline will be used by the court in determining child support payable. If you are making less money now then when the support was ordered, you may petition the court to reduce your support payment.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!