JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

Is an agreement between my wife and I over child custody in

Customer Question

Is an agreement between my wife and I over child custody in a post-nuptial binding/enforced/honored by the court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
An agreement between the parties is never binding on the court. The court has to look at and be concerned only with the best interest of the child. However, that being said the court will usually follow an agreement.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is the criteria which determines what is best for the child by the court?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
There is no specific criteria, the standard is the ambiguous "best interest of the child" which can include ANYTHING the judge wants to consider, other than illegal reasons like race, gender, etc.