RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My daughter turned eighteen in December and Ive just learned

My daughter turned eighteen in December and I've just learned she has been secretly dating a 26 year old man. She is still in High School, what are my parental rights in this situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

Good evening, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, your daughter is legally considered an adult at age 18, so she is free to date whom she chooses. If they were having sexual intercourse prior to her turning 18, that is a violation of California Penal Code Section 261.5(c) and can be charged with either a misdemeanor or felony (it's up to the district attorney) and can be punished with

imprisonment in a county jail or state prison, and should be reported to the authorities.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions.

I hope this information is helpful, even if it may not be what you want to hear. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.