How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 54849
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17 and will be 18 in two months she is getting

Customer Question

My daughter is 17 and will be 18 in two months she is getting ready to have a baby of her own any day. She is changing her last name to the fathers without getting married. Am I still responsible for child support payments?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. In Virginia, unless your divorce decree specifically provides otherwise that you provide for college expenses, your legal obligation to your daughter stops when she turns 18.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My decree states that I pay until my daughter graduates however she is living with her mother and her child to be father so does this mean I continue this child support for her and her child?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
If your decree covers her until she graduates, you will have to cover her through her graduation, but you are not responsible for her child or anyone else.