Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

Can I move out of state while pregnant without the fathers

Customer Question

Can I move out of state while pregnant without the fathers permission? We were never married and are no longer together. He says he wants me to sign away my rights to persue him for child support before he will give consent.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Yes, you can relocate while pregnant and there is nothing that the father can do to stop you.

Steven Kincaid :

However, if you wait until the baby is born, he may be able to stop you from relocating.

Steven Kincaid :

If you move to another state while pregnant and give birth in another state, Arizona will not be able to make any orders regarding custody of your child, unless you move back to Arizona with your child.

Steven Kincaid :

The way child custody works in the U.S. is that the state that can make custody decisions is the child's "home state." The "home state" is typically where the child has lived for the six months preceding the lawsuit, or in the case of a child under six months, the place where the child has lived since birth. Therefore, at birth, your new state of residence would be the only state that could make decisions about custody of your child.

JACUSTOMER-4kfrk179- :

So I can still pursue him for child support after the child is born in Oregon I'll just have to file the claim in Oregon?

Steven Kincaid :

You will have two choices with respect to child support. You could ask for assistance from Child Support Enforcement in Oregon. If your ex has some connection to Oregon or if he gets served with court papers in Oregon, child support can be addressed in Oregon...

Steven Kincaid :

If he

Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.
I was unable to type into the chat screen but I had more to say!

If your ex has no connection with Oregon and cannot be served with court papers in Oregon, child support may have to be pursued in Arizona. However, the simplest way to do this is work with Oregon Child Support Enforcement who will work with Arizona Child Support Enforcement to get you a child support order.