Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
635143

I was married in CA, they have no record of our marriage.

I was married in CA, they have no record of our marriage. Do I still need to file for divorce?

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. What do you mean they have no record of the marriage? Was a marriage license not obtained and/or returned for filing? How long were you married? While married did you know there was no record of the marriage?

JACUSTOMER-12yzfsop- :

We obtained one and the minister filed it, but the state has no record of it. We were maried 29 years and I have never been able to even change my social security card. Yes, we were aware of this.

Law Girl :

Although it sounds like there was a misfiling or mix-up in the county recorder's office, that does not negate the legal status of your nuptials. Legally (assuming you went through the ceremony and other prerequisites) you are married (even if there does not appear to be a record of it) and this requires a divorce proceeding. I am sorry.

JACUSTOMER-12yzfsop- :

Thank you for this information.

Law Girl :

No problem. Can I provide any clarification?

JACUSTOMER-12yzfsop- :

Not at this time.

Law Girl :

Then best of luck to you. Please does not forget to hit "ACCEPT". Happy holidays!