Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

I have a question regarding Title eight appellate rule 8.104(1)(a)

I have a question regarding Title eight appellate rule 8.104(1)(a) which states," 60 days after the superior court clerk serves the party filing the notice of appeal with a document entitled ""Notice of Entry"" of judgement or a file stamped copy of the judgement, showing the date either was served". Can you please tell me what this part means "...or a file stamped copy of the judgement, showing the date either was served". I am unclear as to what the last three words mean.."either was served".
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 3 years ago.

Generally this refers to when the document was mailed either by the clerk or the appealing party. If sent by a party there is included a form titled "proof of service" or "certificate of service" identifying the date and means the document was delivered to the opposing party. If sent by the Clerk it is served when mailed. The proof of service is signed by the attorney.

Rule 8.104(a) provides that the earliest of seven possible dates is the deadline for filing a notice of appeal: (1) 60 days after the superior court clerk mails the party filing the notice of appeal a document entitled "Notice of Entry" of judgment showing the date it was mailed;

(2) 60 days after the superior court clerk mails a file-stamped copy of the judgment showing the date it was mailed;

(3) 60 days after the party filing the notice of appeal serves a document entitled "Notice of Entry" of judgment accompanied by a proof of service;

(4) 60 days after the party filing the notice of appeal is served by a party with a document entitled "Notice of Entry" of judgment accompanied by a proof of service;

(5) 60 days after the party filing the notice of appeal serves a file-stamped copy of the

judgment accompanied by a proof of service;

(6) 60 days after the party filing the notice of appeal is served by a party with a file-stamped copy of the judgment accompanied by a proof of service; or\

(7) 180 days after entry of judgment.

If you found this answer informative please press the ACCEPT even if you are on a subscription plan so I may receive credit for my work.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience: OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess where I am confused is in my own personal scenario. I am the respondent in an appeal. After the hearing, that is being appealed, the court mailed a copy of a file stamped minute order to both partys. The minute order was a denial of the appellants motion. The appellant included the minute order that was mailed to her and the envelope that it was mailed in, in the record. (the envelope has a postage mark). A notice of entry was never filed by either party. Would the time limt of the appeal be 60 days from the time the court mailed it? The way I am understanding your answer is, since the judgment (minute order) was mailed by the clerk (with a judges signature on it), proof of service is when it was mailed...correct? I don't understand what you mean, by the proof of service is signed by the attorney. We were both pro per.