Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

If you were not told when you got a divorce eighteen years

If you were not told when you got a divorce eighteen years ago that the formula that was put in your divorce papers means that your former wife will get 25% of your retirement is their any thing you can do to fight this
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry, but likely not. Once a decree is signed, it is sealed and you may only modify generally it if there was (1) a mistake in law or fact, or (2) the decree shocks the conscience of the court by it being unfair, or (3) the circumstances have changed drastically. I am afraid it is likely that none of these apply here. I am sorry.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”