How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 101939
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi in need to facilitate an adult adoption in Minnesota.

Customer Question

Hi in need to facilitate an adult adoption in Minnesota. I am 59, he is 22, he is an orphan (both parents dead) He is also a german citizen. I need someone who has done a similar adoption in the past. We understand this will not help him in his status in the USA (currently on a 5 year student visa)
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

JustAnswer experts may not take a case from the site per the rules we are bound by, but I can help you find someone affordable in your area. So my answer is not redundant, can I ask where you have already tried to look?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have called several "family" lawyers in the Minneapolis, Fargo and Theif River Falls area. The minute they hear german boy american family they seem to fade away
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
What you need to do is to call the Minnesota Bar Referral Service. The service is free, and the attorneys are vetted and qualified. You may also narrow down the search to attorneys who work transnational family law, such as you have. The link is below: hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Eli, although I appreciate your quick answers, I've done what you suggested on two separate occasions. Both times the lawyers that they referred to me either said that was out of their area, or give a 2 or 3 thousand dollar retainer and they would research it. I'm sorry but a google search response is not work anything. It's what I do all day as part of my work.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Well this was not a 'Google' answer, but a referral to their service. I am afraid that we cannot give specific names out because that would be a violation of JustAnswer's policy. The best I can do is refer you to referral services or other listings, I am sorry.