Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husband is in the military and GA is his home of record

My husband is in the military and GA is his home of record and we are looking to get a divorce. We are currently stationed in NC, but were married in SC. My question is can we get a divorce in GA as long as my husband files it? And how long does it take in GA?

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Will this be a contested or uncontested divorce?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a uncontested divorce
The law is that either of you have the right to file in the:

State where the spouse filing resides.
State where the military member is stationed.
State where the military member claims legal residency. I am guessing when you say 'home or record,' you mean that this is where he claims legal residency, so he CAN file in GA. There IS NO WAIT TIME between filing and a hearing GA, meaning that if he files it, you can have a hearing within a week and be divorced.However, he is urged to check with the information clerk and/or JAG to ensure that GA is indeed his state where he claims residency while serving.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”