Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My uncle wants to put my grandmother in a nursing home. She

My uncle wants to put my grandmother in a nursing home. She is not ready for a nursing home and wants to stay in her senior apartment. He does not have power of attorney and she still has all of her mental faculties. What should she do?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unless your grandmother is in a conservatorship/guardianship, she has no legal requirement to follow the suggestions of your uncle. A competent adult is not required to move into a nursing home simply because an adult child makes that request.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should she get any kind of paperwork signed by her physician to say that she is mentally competent?
If she believes that your uncle is going to have her declared incompetent in order to force her into a nursing home, she should meet with local counsel at this time. Her attorney can then coordinate with her doctor