Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Minnesota divorce How can they bring corporations into

In Minnesota divorce: How can they bring corporations into family court?

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Generally speaking, yes. Corporations are legal entities, and can be called into court. However, in this case, I am guessing you'd be using its persons as witnesses, so the actual individual would need to be subpoenaed. If you are seeking evidence from the corporation, their clerk of record would need to be subpoenaed in this case.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question is in a divorce it is family court. How can they bring a corporation into family court. They want to bring them in as a third party. Wouldn't they have to bring a seperate suit against the corporation not in family court?
This depends - can you please tell me why they are bringing it in as a party, and is it a WITNESS or a party being brought and SUED, or what exactly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They want to bring them in as a third party to the divorce. My soon to be ex thinks I am hiding assets in this corporation. The corporation has is a small corporation and i am very active in it. I own stock in this corporation. This corporation has been in business for ten years.
What do you mean 'bring in,' as in making them a Respondent, or using them as a witness? What have they filed or want to file? The answers to these facts will allow me to render a good answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They have filed an amended petition for disolution of marriage with myself and the corporation as respondents.
This is very unusual, indeed. Can you please tell me what they allege in the petition that the corporation is responsible for?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The corporation owns some properties and she alleges they belong to us personally. The corporation has owned these properties for years.
Is she pro se, or is she using an attorney?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has an attorney
Do they allege any specific ACTION against the company, such as 'negligence,' or 'conversion,' or anything else? This is important.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are alleging that the assets owned by the corp are marital assets.
I see. This is highly unusual, but it makes sense. However, if you wish to challenge this, you may file a MOTION TO STRIKE to have the Court dismiss the petition as erroneous. You can find said motion at uslegalforms.com, or legalzoom.com, or nolo.com, or best of yet, have an attorney draft it for you. It is highly unusual for them to do this, and you should be able to get the petition dismissed.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.