Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter is 10 years old hasnt seen her father in 12 weeks

My daughter is 10 years old hasn't seen her father in 12 weeks becauses he had a registered sex offender living with him. Apparently they moved out and now he wants her for the weekend. She doesn't want to go, acts as if she is afraid to go. Divorce papers give him visitation every other weekend. What can I do?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My daughter is 10 years old hasn't seen her father in 12 weeks becauses he had a registered sex offender living with him. Apparently, they moved out and now he wants her for the weekend. She doesn't want to go, acts as if she is afraid to go. Divorce papers give him visitation every other weekend. What can I do?

Response: Do not let the child go. Let the father go to Court and file Contempt against you so that you would have the opportunity to tell the Court why you do not want the child to go: the father had registered sex offenders living with him, that you cannot be certain that these individuals are not going to be there when the child comes to visit her father; the child is afraid to go.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for that answer but does she have to be the one to tell him she does not want to go?

Response: You have to. Your daughter is still a minor and should not be allowed to dictate what she wants to do. The fact that he was living with registered sex offenders when he has visitation with a 10-year old shows very bad judgment on his part. The Court would look very kindly on that.