LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am a publoished author of two books and am working a third.

I am a publoished author of two books and am working a third. I need to know according to CO law, if a spouse leaves and isn't heard from in over 25 years, are they still married according to law?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

With the exception of the death of the spouse who left 265 years earlier---which would terminate the marriage----time apart plays no role in whether a couple remains married. Yes, the couple you speak of would still be legally married. This the law not only in Colorado, but all the other 49 state of the U.S. as well. Only death, annulment or divorce will act to terminate the marriage

I wish you the best this holiday season.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me.

It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would
click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance. Best regards,

Doug