Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I would like to know what my rights are concerning a false

Customer Question

I would like to know what my rights are concerning a false report a disgruntled ex-employee called to Health & Human Services hotline concerning my children?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

After the HHS worker closes the case, you can consider filing a defamation action against the employee

Defamation basically consists of: (1) a false statement of fact about another; (2) an unprivileged publication of that statement to a third party; (3) some degree of fault, depending on the type of case; and (4) some harm or damage.

Libel is defamation by the printed word and slander is defamation by the spoken word.

Based upon your post only, you appear to meet all the criteria to establish a prima facie claim for defamation. You will want to retain local counsel.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you. If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.