Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
11182422

i am getting ready to go to court for divorce soon. My estranged

i am getting ready to go to court for divorce soon. My estranged husband is asking for custody of our twins. I have 3 children but my husband and i have 2 together. Please let me know what are his chances of winning custody of our kids.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

How much custody is he asking for, and why does he argue that his request is in the best interest of the children?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is asking for joint custody but he wants my children to reside with him. He is not specific on why he thinks they are better off with him he just said that he is the better parent. I havent always been the best housekeeper so i hired a housekeeper and he is trying to use that against me. He has also told me that his attorney can prove that i have anger issues. well i don't have anger issues...but i have been really upset when he has cheated on me as well as physically and emtionally abused me.
I just want to comment first that getting a housekeeper is not at all likely to count against you; if anything, it is likely to prove that you are responsible about keeping the house in order. That is very backwards thinking on his part. And obviously you are entitled to be angry at him for physically and emotionally abusing you (including unfaithfulness); apparently, he believes that treating his kids' mom like a bag of garbage is in their best interests?

Child custody will not be modified unless there has been a material change in circumstances and the change is in the child's best interest. If he is unable to articulate (1) how there has been a material change in circumstances or (2) how it is in the best interest of your children to change the custody plan, he will not win. I understand your anxiety because it involves your kids, but the court has to have an affirmative reason to change the custody order, and you have indicated that he is unable to articulate that reason or that there has been a change. I hope that this helps.