Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

How can I create a binding legal document that will list my

How can I create a binding legal document that will list my financial obligations to my son. There is no dispute between my wife and I, we just want something legal and binding. Nobody in the Broward County, FL Courthouse knows what must be done.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Do you mean that you owe your son for certain debts, or simply that you wish your son to know what your current debts are towards third parties?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are no debts. My son is 10 years old. We just want something in writing that is legally binding which lists how I will support him until he finishes college. We agree what we want to put in the document, we just want a legal document.
Thank you for your follow-up.

All you are referring to is simply a basic legal contract. What you must do is write up the terms, conditions, obligations, and penalties should one party breach, and then have you and the other parent sign, date, and notarize the agreement. Then, should a breach occur from any side, the other party will be able to go to court and sue on breach of contract grounds.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 12/1/2010 at 5:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will just a notarized contract hold up in court, or does a judge have to review it?

Thank you for your follow-up.

No, a notarized contract by itself will be valid. Just be aware that if there are confusing or ambiguous terms in the contract, theterms will be read against the creator of the contract. To avoid confusion, make sure that you directly and completely explain your intent and your desires.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 12/1/2010 at 5:17 AM EST