LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney

My ex-husband has stopped paying my alimony payments. I have

Customer Question

My ex-husband has stopped paying my alimony payments. I have a court order saying he has to pay it til I remarry or die. What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you today.

You can file a motion for contempt with the same court that heard your divorce case. The clerk of court should have the form. Your husband will then have to go in front of the judge to explain why he has quit paying and why he shouldn't be held in contempt. The judge will order him to pay up or face hefty fines or jail time. If he continues not to pay, you can then ask the state to garnish his wages and send you payment directly.

Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer :

He says his income has decreased and this is why he has quit paying. Do the courts usually charge for this filing?

No, there is no charge to file the motion for contempt.