Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Does guardianship make us (the parents) financially responsible

Customer Question

Does guardianship make us (the parents) financially responsible for a 32 year old mentally ill son?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
I wish to help but need to know if this is an old guardianship that was obtain when the person was a child and now 32 years old or is the 32 year old mentally unable to care for him/herself?

Also do the biological parents support the 32 year old?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The 32 year old is mentally ill. I believe he is paranoid schizophrenic, but the State Hospital says he is Bipolar with manic disorders. He has been living independent of us (his biological parents) for about a year. A suicide note is what got him back in the State Hospital after just two weeks of having been released from there. The first stay was due to having attacked 3 family members at a restaurant.

We are looking at the possibility of guardianship as a means of getting him some REAL help because he is refusing to be helped any other way. HELP!!