Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

What are my parental rights over a son who is 19 years old

What are my parental rights over a son who is 19 years old and lives in our house and is totally financially dependent on us and has deep psychological problems
Regarding parental rights, the age of majority in New York is 18. This age is separate from those related to child support obligations. Unless a court of law has found your child to need a guardian or conservator, you no longer have any legal parental rights over your adult child. I understand you say the child has deep psychological problems, but only a doctor can medically declare him incompetent in order for you to be eligible to become the child's legal guardian or conservator. Without the judicial process, the parents no longer retain any legal rights over an adult child even if the parent is financially supporting said child.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.