P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Can I make someone my dependent if they arent related to me

Customer Question

Can I make someone my dependent if they aren't related to me but under 18 and living with me and I am taking care of them? They are 16 and will be 17 in 4 months. They will be living with me until they finish high school and go off to college. So will I be able to make them my dependent? Or is there a such thing as temporary dependency or something?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child and therefore qualify as a dependent, a person must be the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Sorry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry I thought I put military dependent in my question. Does the same apply if I wanted to make them my dependent in the military, Air Force branch?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt out without charge and refer your question to a military expert. No need to respond as it may delay your answer.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Its may possible to make a dependent...but it depends some degree on your status....are you active duty or retired?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Active duty Air Force O-1
Thanks

Yes, its possible. There is a specific process that must be followed.

If the child is related its easier. If the child is not related you will need court ordered custody. Once you have court ordered custody, you need to fill out DD Forms 137-7 and 1172 and submit along with a copy of the childs birth certificate

You can then get a military ID card for the child

Let me know if you have more questions
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including family law.