RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Im out of state in the military in California and my wife

I'm out of state in the military in California and my wife is in Illinois. My wife and I have agreed to an uncontested divorce, how do we proceed about getting a divorce? How long will it take to get divorced? Would I have to appear in court? What is the average cost of this type of divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.You can file here in either California or Illinois.You can share a lawyer here to prepare the petition and other settlement documents.You can split the costs here. Plan on $1k here with filing fees.This should be about average for uncontested divorce.The price here would be about the same whether you file in either state.Your wife could appear here and have it signed off on by judge if you agree.

Lawyer here

The IllinoisLawyerFinder Phone Service

How does your phone service work?

Call(NNN) NNN-NNNNor toll free(NNN) NNN-NNNN the referral clerk will need only basic information (your name, address, brief description of legal need) and will then refer you to a lawyer in the geographic area requested. (All information provided will be treated as strictly confidential.)

You will contact the referred lawyer’s office to make an appointment at a time that is convenient for you. The lawyer will not contact you. Be sure you tell the lawyer you were referred by the IllinoisLawyerFinder phone service so you will receive the special rate for the first half-hour.

After the initial consultation, you are under no obligation to proceed with the referred lawyer if additional service is needed. It is up to you to authorize the lawyer to proceed on your behalf.

How much does the lawyer charge?

Again, the lawyer has agreed to provide a half-hour consultation for a fee not to exceed $25. It is up to you to contact the lawyer for an appointment. Be sure you tell the lawyer that you were referred by the IllinoisLawyerFinder phone service so you will receive the half-hour consultation as described above. You are not obligated to hire the lawyer, and the lawyer is not obligated to represent you. If you decide to make another appointment with the lawyer or authorize the lawyer to take action to assist you with your legal problem, be sure to discuss the fee for further services.

Edited by RayAnswers on 11/2/2010 at 4:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
answer all my questions
My wife and I have agreed to an uncontested divorce, how do we proceed about getting a divorce?
Hire lawyer here in Illinois to file uncontested and prepare settlement papers.I gave you reference through Illinois Bar to find one locally where wife is/

How long will it take to get divorced?

Before a judge will grant a divorce, a spouse or both spouses must prove grounds. The one commonly used is irreconcilable differences, which some people call no fault. In such a case, the spouses are required to prove to the judge’s satisfaction that there is a breakdown in the marriage, that they have been living separately for two years, that they have attempted counseling, and that all efforts to reconcile have failed. A judge can limit the period of separation to six months in certain cases.

There is no specified waiting period before the final divorce proceedings can take place. You will need to ask the court clerk to schedule your case for a final uncontested divorce hearing. It will depend on the backlog of the court how long it takes to get a final hearing. Both spouses are normally required to attend the final hearing under Illinois laws.

Would I have to appear in court?
Both spouses are normally required to attend the final hearing under Illinois laws. It may
be possible for you to waive your apeparance in agreed divorce since you are out of state.

What is the average cost of this type of divorce?$1k here including filing fees.

If I missed something or you have follow up just ask.It's not a problem.I'm sorry if I missed soemthing here earlier.I know it can be a lot ot absorb at once.

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
Hire lawyer here in Illinois to file uncontested and prepare settlement papers.I gave you reference through Illinois Bar to find one locally where wife is located so that you could possibly share a lawyer and costs.

How long will it take to get divorced?

Would I have to appear in court?