How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11891
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons exwife would like to terminate his non custodi

Customer Question

My son's exwife would like to terminate his non custodial child support for his 2 boys ages 20 and 17. He is past due /arrears for approximately 15,000.00. He has been ill for about 2 years and has not kept up with his payments. Actually before that he was not able to alwasys make his payments. At this point she would like to terminate the child support and release him from this obligation. As his mother I would like to have papers drawn up for the two of them, sworn statemnets from him that in the event he ever wins/or inherit money he will clear up this past due debt. He has not worked in years and we fear that he is suffering from depression. His exwife and I feel that this may be cause for this depressive stage. The courts did say it was her discision to terminate the child support . It's up to her and she would like to do it. Is there a form I can obtain from office depot or Staples etc.?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.
Good evening, thank you for your question.

There's no form you can get from Staples, Office Depot, etc. This type of form, most attorneys would probably just draft themselves. Here's a sample stipulation to terminate maintenance (spousal support) -you could easily modify it to read "Joint Stipulation to Terminate Child Support and Arrears". This form is from Colorado, so you'll want to use the case headings/case number XXXXX your son's case (any court document should have this information, you can just copy it from there).

You also want to prepare an Order on Joint Stipulation to go with this for the judge to sign. This is because a court has the final say whether to approve the stipulation.

The Order should look like this:

Case heading

Order on Joint Stipulation to Terminate Child Support and Arrears (Centered)

Upon the Joint Stipulation of Petitioner and Respondent to Terminate Child Support and Arrears, the court having reviewed the stipulation, it is hereby ordered and adjudged that the stipulation is hereby:


2. _______________________________________________________________


(Leave blank lines in case the judge wants to write anything in).

Signed and Ordered this ______ day of November, 2010.

(Judge's Name)

As I said, the court wasn't entirely correct in what they told you-a judge CAN deny the stipulation, even if both parties agree to the terms. I've never known a judge to terminate child support arrears, but it is possible. It's also possible the judge could grant the stipulation in part, terminating any current ongoing obligation, and deny it in part, denying the termination of the arrears.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Edited by RobertJDFL on 11/2/2010 at 12:47 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was under the impression that I would receive a more positive answer. I was not pleased with your answer. I do not accept. Thank you for not charging my account and discontinue any additional E-mail correspondance. Thanks
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.
I can only control what the law says -I can't guarantee you an outcome. Life and the law do not work that way. I would love to give positive answers to everyone, but I prefer to give legally correct answers based on the law -any lawyer who gives you less is giving you lip service, and not doing you any favors.

I worked very hard on your answer, and take offense that you would not accept because an answer wasn't "positive" enough for you.

I'll send this to customer service and ask them to process a refund, per your request.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions