How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser , Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37624
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in nc and this friday the judge will sign off on our

Resolved Question:

I live in nc and this friday the judge will sign off on our uncontested devorce. our papers does not specify who has full/shared custody or anything like that. I wanted split legal custody 100% 50/50. but she wants full legal custody and maybe split 50/50 shared time with our son. she is now wants to move to california to be close to her friends.What can i do to keep her from taking him to cali. I want my son to be raised in n.c. with his aunts and uncles and cousins. I want my son as much as i can have him with me. Is there any way she can get full custody and leave to cali and control his time between me and her.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
If your court judgment/decree does not make custody orders, then each parent still has joint custody, and either can legally exercise jurisdiction over the child. As a practical matter, this means that your ex could move the child to California on Monday, and you could pick up the child and return to North Carolina on Tuesday.

Naturally, this is an impossible situation, and what it really means is that you do not have an uncontested divorce. Assuming that the court were to sign off, you would still have to return and petition for custody and support orders. So, you may want to think about hiring a lawyer and making that happen, before things get really ugly.

Re your ex relocating to California, yes, that sort of thing happens all the time. Unless you can show that you spend as much time parenting the child as your ex, and that you have a very strong emotional bond, then the other parent, if her bond and time is stronger and more consistent, can get an order permitting relocation to another State.

Whether or not this would actually happen is pure speculation.

You have a choice: you can try to straighten out the relcoation issue now, or you can wait for your ex to leave with the child, and then go to court and ask for orders to have the child returned. The court won't be happy that the other parent picked up and left, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the court will order the parent to return, either.

It's a bit of a crapshoot. If you act now, you will at least know exactly where you stand.

For a family law attorney referral, see these links: ABA or Martindale. If you can't afford a lawyer then try legal aid.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How can i go about proving my time with him. I have had him atleast 50% but im sure much more for almost a year now. He adores me and i want him every second i can get him. We have been doing a week on and week off schedule for a month or so but before that i had him more than she did. she says she wants to do 3weeks on 3weeks off to see if i can be a compatent father.she wants to see how we handle it. we have been peacful and not wanting to go the fighting lawyer route. but i know she is seeing a new boyfriend in cali.


Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
You need an objective witness who can testify to your time with the child. A neighbor who doesn't have any particular stake in the controversy (no particular friend to either you or your ex) could be used. And, you could ask your ex to sign an acknowledgement, confirming your shared parenting agreement. It wouldn't be enforceable in court, but it would be evidence that you agreed to share custody, and under what terms and conditions -- which means that your ex must think you're at least somewhat capable of exercising shared custody.

If your ex is willing to sign an agreement for three-week split custody, then that would be her undoing, because a long period of time like that demonstrates that either of you is capable of being sole custodian of the child, and that would make your ex's relocation very difficult, from the court's perspective.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37624
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions