How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34066
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Grandchildren are not being taken care of. How do grandparents

This answer was rated:

Grandchildren are not being taken care of. How do grandparents get custody?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Are grandparents AND the grandkids both in AL?

Are parents still married?

Why do grandparents want custody...what is going on exactly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Grandparents and children are both in Alabama, right now.

Parents are still married, but have history of drug use and fighting. Have moved from home to home with relatives and friends for the past couple of months.

We, the grandparents, had the children this past weekend for the first time in two months. We took them back to their parents in Sheffield after their time with us. We just found out tonight that our granddaughter has been late to school the past three days and now the parents have been "evicted" from a relatives house for fighting amongst themselves and have taken the kids with them. Our granddaughter is 5 years old, and the twin boys are 2 years old. Our granddaughter is very emotional and we want her and the boys out of that dangerous situation before one of them get hurt. Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to get them out of there. We do not know where they are now!


It is possible, even if the parents are still married. I will paste the law below. But understand that the law is for "visitation" only...if you want custody you basically need to prove that mom and dad are unfit parents and need to get the state involved in the process, specifically Child Protective Services.

Alabama has a statute that is the law re: grandparents having the right to visitation with their grandchildren. Grandparents do have visitation rights in the state of Alabama in certain circumstances.

Here is the exact wording of the statute.
Ala. Code §30-3-4.1
"(a) For the purposes of this section, the term grandparent means the parent of a parent of a minor child, the parent of a minor child's parent who has died, or the parent of a minor child's parent whose parental rights have been terminated when the child has been adopted pursuant to Section 26-10A-27, 26-10A-28, or 26-10A-30, dealing with stepparent and relative adoption.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any grandparent may file an original action for visitation rights to a minor child if it is in the best interest of the minor child and one of the following conditions exist:
(1) When one or both parents of the child are deceased.
(2) When the marriage of the parents of the child has been dissolved.
(3) When a parent of the child has abandoned the minor.
(4) When the child was born out of wedlock.
(5) When the child is living with both biological parents, who are still married to each other, whether or not there is a broken relationship between either or both parents of the minor and the grandparent and either or both parents have used their parental authority to prohibit a relationship between the child and the grandparent.
(c) Any grandparent may intervene in and seek to obtain visitation rights in any action when any court in this state has before it any question concerning the custody of a minor child, a divorce proceeding of the parents or a parent of the minor child, or a termination of the parental rights proceeding of either parent of the minor child, provided the termination of parental rights is for the purpose of adoption pursuant to Sections 26-10A-27, 26-10A-28, or 26-10A-30, dealing with stepparent or relative adoption.
(d) Upon the filing of an original action or upon intervention in an existing proceeding pursuant to subsections (b) and (c), the court shall determine if visitation by the grandparent is in the best interests of the child. Visitation shall not be granted if the visitation would endanger the physical health of the child or impair the emotional development of the child. In determining the best interest of the child, the court shall consider the following:
(1) The willingness of the grandparent or grandparents to encourage a close relationship between the child and the parent or parents.
(2) The preference of the child, if the child is determined to be of sufficient maturity to express a preference.
(3) The mental and physical health of the child.
(4) The mental and physical health of the grandparent or grandparents.
(5) Evidence of domestic violence inflicted by one parent upon the other parent or the child. If the court determines that evidence of domestic violence exists, visitation provisions shall be made in a manner protecting the child or children, parents, or grandparents from further abuse.
(6) Other relevant factors in the particular circumstances, including the wishes of any parent who is living.
(e) The court shall make specific written findings of fact in support of its rulings. An original action requesting visitation rights shall not be filed by any grandparent more than once during any two-year period and shall not be filed during any year in which another custody action has been filed concerning the child. After visitation rights have been granted to any grandparent, the legal custodian, guardian, or parent of the child may petition the court for revocation or amendment of the visitation rights, for good cause shown, which the court, in its discretion, may grant or deny. Unless evidence of abuse is alleged or other exceptional circumstances, a petition shall not be filed more than once in any two-year period.
(f) If the court finds that the grandparent or grandparents can bear the cost without unreasonable financial hardship, the court, at the sole expense of the petitioning grandparent or grandparents, may appoint a guardian ad litem for the minor child.
(g) Notwithstanding the foregoing, a grandparent may not be granted visitation with a grandchild where the parent related to the grandparent has either given up legal custody voluntarily or by court order or has abandoned the child financially unless the grandparent has an established relationship with the child and the court finds that visitation with the grandparent is in the best interest of the child."

So, yes its possible to give visitation...but full custody will be much more difficult.

To file for custody, you need to hire a local attorney with experience in family law who can file the case for you.

Let me know if you have more questions

P. Simmons and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. That helps. If I have any other questions I'll be sure to ask for you again.

Thanks again.

Related Family Law Questions