Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

If a six year old child is left outside down the street with

If a six year old child is left outside down the street with no adult supervision is that neglect?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your dilemna. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

It may be considered neglect depending upon the childs maturity and the neighborhood environment -- i.e. traffic. In your grandsons situation, it does appear to be neglectful to allow him to be unsupervised after having been attacked by boys with a brick.

Your son may want to file for modification to the parenting plan to obtain custody.

All matters involving children are determined according to what the court divines to be the best interest of the child. Custody is subject to modification at any time there is a substantial change in circumstances that affects the best interest of the child. The lack of supervision would suffice as such a substantial change in circumstances to warrant a modification

I hope that this helps.

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How will we be able to prove what they said or did. We have a picture of the bruise.

We have a picture that was written by one of the children to say he was sorry.

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

You do not need to prove actual neglect. Rather your son will need to convince the court that his child would be better off living with him.

Typically the court will find that it is in the best interest of the child to have a relationship with both parents but based upon the information may be willing to allow your son to be custodial parent

Please click accept:
If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers