Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

What are the custody rights of the father of my child We

Customer Question

What are the custody rights of the father of my child? We were never married.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Has he established paternity?

JACUSTOMER-k3sfdokz- :

He is listed as the father on my daughter's birth certificate.

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. At this point, he is entitled to reasonable visitation, and has the obligation to provide child support. However, without an order from the court, he does not have a right to be unreasonable about the visitation. You can allow him to see the child at your convenience. If he doesn't agree, he can file for visitation in your local family court.

JACUSTOMER-k3sfdokz- :

What kind of visitation is usually allowed? He pays for day care before and after school and makes more money than I do. What kind of child support is the father usually expected to pay?

SoloLawyer :

Visitation will be based on the "best interests of the child". It varies case by case. Often the parent with primary custody will have the child during the week, with the other parent having the child on weekends. Holidays are usually split.

JACUSTOMER-k3sfdokz- :

How much money is it to file in family court? I am fearful that this will end up upsetting my daughter even more.

SoloLawyer :

Filing fees are usually between $70-$110 depending on the county.

SoloLawyer :

I hope this answers your questions.

SoloLawyer :

I wish you the best of luck! Don't forget to press ACCEPT if my Answer was helpful. If you need me to clarify my Answer or ask a follow up question, just ask! My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael?

JACUSTOMER-k3sfdokz- :

So if he doesn't like my visitation schedule is it him that has to file in family court?

SoloLawyer :

Yes, that is correct.

JACUSTOMER-k3sfdokz- :

Thank you very much for your help!

SoloLawyer :

You're welcome!

SoloLawyer :

Don't forget to press ACCEPT. :)