How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if i married a man for Africa (Nigeria) and we been married

Customer Question

what if i married a man for Africa (Nigeria) and we been married since 2005 he left me and our daughter and in 2007 and i found out one week before i graduated from nursing school in may 2010 that he is divorcing me and he has a baby on the way with a Nigerian women i was planning on moving there when i finished school. i received the papers today and there was no mention of the child that was conceived during our marriage i am now thinking that he married me for his papers our daughter is 5 on nov. 4. i don't know what to think. i need advice of what to do. I am african american
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

Has he filed for divorce in the US or Nigeria?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in the us (New Jersey)
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.

You may want to consider retaining legal counsel in New Jersey for the limited purpose of dismissing the petition for dissolution of marriage. Once the petition is dismissed, you may file for divorce in child support in Texas. The court will award child support according to the Texas child support guideline.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Do not click relist as it will delay my response. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my work

Related Family Law Questions