Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I am pro se in a case for temporary spousal support unrelated

Customer Question

I am pro se in a case for temporary spousal support unrelated to a divorce. How do depose his bank account, his landlord, his prior employer? As i need to prove that he makes money, because it is illegal income I can document it, so I need to prove that he is capable of paying over $4000 in expenses each month. I need to know the process , steps I need to take to serve a subpeona and take depositions, request copies of his bank statements, and other things ncluding his former employer who he quit because he makes to much money doing other things. thank you Maryann
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Lucy, Esq. :

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Lucy, Esq. :

This site has form interrogatories, which you can serve on your husband or his lawyer. It also has the form you would use to request documents from non-parties.
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml

Lucy, Esq. :

If you want to take the deposition of someone, you would need to set a date and time and serve a deposition notice.

Lucy, Esq. :

Here is an example of a subpoena that you can serve on a non-party to order the production of documents.
http://www.formsworkflow.com/d87503.aspx

Customer :

so where would i schedule to take these depositions, the law library at the court house? i dont have an office. would i be allowed to record the deposition

Lucy, Esq. :

There isn't anywhere at the courthouse to take depositions. If the other party has a lawyer, they may agree to do the deposition there. You won't need a location for the bank - they'll just send you the records, usually. Otherwise, see if the law library has rooms you can use for that purpose.

As far as recording, you would have a court reporter present to take down a transcript. Check the yellow pages or call around.