Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

I have lived in Florida for the past 5 years. I am deeply

I have lived in Florida for the past 5 years. I am deeply in debt with credit cards which I have stopped paying. I live on retirement and social security of about 3500 per month. I am 68 years old. My wife is 58 and does not work. She has no debts in her name. Her name is XXXXX XXXXX current mortgage but not on the note. I am going to let the mortgage company foreclose on my current home. I have some money in retirement funds.which I plan to withdraw to pay cash for a cheaper home so we would have no monthly payment and so my wife should be able to afford it when I am gone. I am thinking my wife and I should divorce and I woulld give her the retirement funds in settlement and she would buy the home in her name only. Then we would get remarried. What are the pitt-falls
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
First I'm sorry you are in such financial problems it has come down to this situation. However, other than the possible lose of ownership to the house if your wife decides to ask you to move there are no other pit falls to mention. The bankrutpcy will resolve the credit card debts and since the new house would not be in your name it could not be attached so long as you're not married.