How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of my daughter. She is 16 will be 17 in December.

Resolved Question:

I have custody of my daughter. She is 16 will be 17 in December. She decided to go live with her dad, who is still paying child support until I sell my house. He agreed, but now he is threatening to sue me for back child support. He makes five times the money I do. He is harassing me daily. I don't know what I can do.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


The payor parent is obligated to continue making child support payments until a court orders otherwise, no matter what the custodial situation is. A parent wishing to terminate child support based on a change in circumstances must petition the court. The court will not order the child support termination to be retroactive to the date custody changed - only to the date the request was filed with the court.


I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Lady Themis and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you