Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

my son is Crazy I want to see my grandchildren and he uses

Customer Question

my son is Crazy I want to see my grandchildren and he uses them as hostage material to try to get what he wants. the kids want to see us I dont know what to do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 5 years ago.

Is your son married to the mother of his children?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes and she goes back and forth I think he bullies her into making decisions to keep the peace , she often tells me that i can call then when he goes on the rampage abput something she backs off

Thank you.

The law only allows a grandparent to ask for visitation rights with the child under certain circumstances. Generally, those are where the parents are divorced or legally separated, or if a parent is deceased, or if the child has lived with the grandparent for a year or more. Otherwise, the court will defer to the married parents' wishes as it pertains to their children.

If your grandchildren are being endangered through abuse or neglect, you may be able to get custody of them. If you wish to do so, you should see a local family law attorney who can guide you through that process, which can be complex particularly if the parents put up a fight.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I dont feel that they are abused except emotionally we make plans with them and then their agrees but then if something in his life isnt going well he cancels it the children are very confused with this and its not healthy, Their mom like I said trys but backs off to his anger and insanity. So you are saying unless they are divorced I am out of luck

Yes, unfortunately, the courts have no power under the law to grant visitation rights to grandparents except in those limited circumstances I mentioned.