RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My daughter started college and then quit. I paid child support

My daughter started college and then quit. I paid child support for 4 months after she quit. Should I get that money back?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.
Good morning, thank you for your question.

So I can better assist you, can you tell me:

1) How old is your daughter?

Once you reply with this information I will work on providing you an answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She turned 19 on September 18 2010.
Thank you for your quick reply.

It's not likely a court will order that the child support be returned if you did not file a motion to terminate the support. This is because under Indiana Code 31-16-6-6, child support in Indiana doesn't terminate until a child turns 21 unless you can prove that a child is fully capable of independently supporting themselves. Specifically, the statute reads:

IC 31-16-6-6

The duty to support a child under this chapter ceases when the child becomes twenty-one (21) years of age unless any of the following conditions occurs:
(a) The duty to support a child under this chapter ceases when the child becomes twenty-one (21) years of age unless any of the following conditions occurs:
(1) The child is emancipated before becoming twenty-one (21) years of age. In this case the child support, except for the educational needs outlined in section 2(a)(1) of this chapter, terminates at the time of emancipation, although an order for educational needs may continue in effect until further order of the court.
(2) The child is incapacitated. In this case the child support continues during the incapacity or until further order of the court.
(3) The child:
(A) is at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(B) has not attended a secondary or postsecondary school for the prior four (4) months and is not enrolled in a secondary or postsecondary school; and
(C) is capable of supporting himself or herself through employment.

In this case the child support terminates upon the court's finding that the conditions prescribed in this subdivision exist. However, if the court finds that the conditions set forth in clauses (A) through (C) are met but that the child is only partially supporting or is capable of only partially supporting himself or herself, the court may order that support be modified instead of terminated.

(b) For purposes of determining if a child is emancipated under subsection (a)(1), if the court finds that the child:
(1) has joined the United States armed services;
(2) has married; or
(3) is not under the care or control of:
(A) either parent; or
(B) an individual or agency approved by the court; the court shall find the child emancipated and terminate the child support.
Thus, if she isn't self-supporting, you're obligated to pay child support anyway, until she turns 21 or becomes self-supporting, whichever comes first. If she has been self-supporting, then you need to file a motion with the court to terminate the support. You can certainly seek return of the 4 months support you paid out within the same motion, but my experience where overpayments have been made has been that a court will treat that money as necessary support anyway and not order it paid back.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.