JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

When a financial settlement is made in a divorce to the spouse

When a financial settlement is made in a divorce to the spouse in the amount of around 20000 dollars, what is the tax implication for the receiving spouse? What is the best thing to do with the money in order to pay the least amount of taxes at the time of settlement or is it better to pay taxes initially in order to avoid paying more later ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
It depends on what the settlement is for and how it is characterized in the paperwork. If it is for child support, that portion is not taxable whereas if it is for alimony it is. If it is a property settlement it is likely not taxable. As a general rule it is better to pay the taxes when due.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.