How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11696
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American Citizen, married to a German Citizen. We married

Customer Question

I am an American citizen, married to a German citizen. We married in New York and moved to Germany. I would like to divorce and do not want any alimony. We have two children. I have an "Unbefristet aufenthaltserlaubnis." As our marriage license is from New York, where is the jurisdiction for a divorce? Must I use a lawyer or can the divorce be down without one? No division of property or any other "Vermögen" will be needed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.
Are you living in Germany?