Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

Can I change the date on my marriage license to a date before

Can I change the date on my marriage license to a date before the license was issued? We had two ceremonies performed - one before and one after the license was given.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
You may not amend the marriage license in California after it has been issued.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I know you can amend a marriage license in California by filling out and filing an affidavit explaining why the change is needed. I want to know if one of the changes that can be made is a retroactive date because we had two ceremonies performed - one before the license was issued and one after.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
I was not clear. You can correct information in a marriage license, such as a misspelled name, but you may not change or amend otherwise accurate information on a marriage license. The following link may be helpful to you:

Edited by LawGuy on 10/25/2010 at 6:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Who sees your marriage license? And is the date that important?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
Your marriage license is a public record in the same manner as a birth certificate. So, anyone who orders a copy may see it. The date is important in that it is the official date of the marriage. For those things in which the marriage date is important, bigamy and probate issues are the ones that immediately come to mind, the date matters. Otherwise, it is no more or less important than the date of any other official event.