Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
635143

Does money that my mother loaned me while i was studying and

Does money that my mother loaned me while i was studying and preparing to enter medical residency count as assets in a disputed child support case. I only started working in July 2010. From the time my child was born(April 2008) till July 2010 i was supported entirely by my mother. The custodial parent and I had a mutual agreement that she violated leading me to ask her to request that child support services redetermine what amount i should pay. From december 2009 to july 10 i received 30,000 dollars as loans/support from my mother. I currently earn 55,000 a year and from my calculations using the online california child support calculator i should be paying 850 a month. the case worker told the custodial parent i should be paying 1500 a month, and a lawyer she engaged thinks i should pay 1900 a month. The court date is set for this wednesday. I am off the belief that child support will be calculated from my salary.(~800- 1000); are the other figures quoted realistic possibilities(in which case is there an appeal process where i can get a lawyer to represent me)
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 4 years ago.

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. The money loaned to you may be considered income for purposes of determining the child support amount.

Law Girl :

How much does the other parent earn? How much time do you spend with the child?

Customer :

She earns 500 dollars a month and i dont spend time with the baby

Customer :

we used to live together on and off while i was trying to find work ..

Law Girl :

The $55,000 per year, does that include the money that your mother gives you?

Customer :

no..

Customer :

that is my salary as of july 2010

Law Girl :

Are you planning to disclose the money your mother gives you?

Customer :

my mother gave me that money so that i could support myself and chloe..

Law Girl :

Running the calculation, be back in just a moment

Customer :

i dont think i have a choice in disclosing the amounts.. they reviewed my financials .. the deposits were made to my bank accounts.. they have access to that information i believe

Law Girl :

How much money does she give you?

Customer :

there is no fixed amount or time.. she would give me the money.. and when i was running out and getting desperate i would swallow my pride and ask again.

Customer :

until i got a job i was helpless.. she gave me a total of 20000 from december 09 to july 10

Customer :

she transferred 10,00 in august when she was visiting .. does that become an asset as well??

Law Girl :

Hypothetically, they may consider looking at all the money given over a year period, combine it with your income and divide by 12 to get a monthly income for you. If that occurs, with these numbers you could be looking at a child support amount around $1,600. (Your current income with the money from your mother would put your income around $70-80k.)

Customer :

then what do i do.. i earn 55,000 and i have debts

Customer :

to my mother and friends..

Customer :

but i still pay 1600

Law Girl :

very possibly, it depends on how child support looks at the money you get from your mother

Customer :

i dont want to ask too many questions.. if they indeed calculate 1,600.. can i get a lawyer and appeal it..

Law Girl :

Generally not. The way child support is changed is if there is a substantial change in circumstances. Otherwise if you try to go into court and try to contest it without there being evidence of a substantial change (i.e. a change in the amount of time you spend with your child, a change in jobs, etc.), the court is likely to disregard the request.

Customer :

so should i go in with a lawyer?

Law Girl :

I really cannot answer that. Given the information they have and that it is merely a numbers game, an attorney may not help you a lot. It is really a matter of what makes you the most comfortable. If you are comfortable advocating for yourself then an attorney may not be necessary. However, if you are really scared, then you may consider retaining counsel.

Customer :

thank you.

Law Girl :

No problem. Best of luck to you!

Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.