How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex-wife who receives a substantial amount of child

This answer was rated:

I have an ex-wife who receives a substantial amount of child support and alimony, I was away on a business trip from which she also profits from, is it legal for her to charge me money (in cash $200) for watching our children 13 and 16? the state is Maine.

Thank you for your question.

Unless a court order provides for her to charge, you are under no obligation to pay extra money. It is not illegal for her to charge you money to what your children, especially if you reach an agreement with her and you agree to pay the money. However, in the event that she is not compensated by way of child support for the additional time the children are in her custody, she may try to raise support. If this trip is not routine, then it is unlikely she would be able to alter child support because of this; however, if this is a weekly routine, then a court may allow her to alter the child support calculation based upon the increased time she is watching the children.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Law Girl and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you