Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My stepson does not want to go back and live with his mom who

My stepson does not want to go back and live with his mom who has primary custody. He is 15. We live in Texas. What rights does he have?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

A court order must be followed until or unless it is changed or modified. The change in the preference of a 15-year-old typically be sufficient to warrant a hearing to modify the parenting plan. A court will typically weigh give great weight to the opinion of a 15-year-old

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.