JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I am in Massachusetts and would like advise about my uncontested

I am in Massachusetts and would like advise about my uncontested divorce. Currently I am carrying the insurance for both myself and my ex-wife to be. I want to know that if I leave my current position and have not
insurance could we write in the divorce decree that my ex-wife would then take the insurance that her job offered and I could be placed on that insurance as her ex husband??? Currently she is not covered by her employment (school teacher) but is covered under my insurance. I plan to retire before her and this may be a problem.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
You can certainly write anything you want in the agreement, but most insurance companies won't provide coverage for ex spouses.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.