How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legalease Your Own Question

Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 14571
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been served a rule nisi asking for me to show just cause

Resolved Question:

I've been served a rule nisi asking for me to show just cause why ex husband's request for relief should not be granted. I have two questions. One, is this asking me to show cause about legal fees or everything he asked for in the custody suit? Two, how do I respond to this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Can I ask a few questions ?


1. Ages of child(ren)?


2. Does he have primary custody or do you? It sounds as if he does, but I just want to be certain. If he has physical custody, do you have any percentage of legal custody (to participate in school, medical decisions, etc?)


3. How many years have you been divorced?


4. Can I ask you exactly what relief he is seeking and why?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
14, 11.

It is actually my wife's ex. But they had joint with her primary until March when the boys filed affidavits saying they wanted to live with their dad. My wife was to have counseling sessions as the kids wouldn't see her after they filed the affidavits. Right now there is a temp order, her ex and the kids refused to see her for 5 months. Went to court in August, judge was upset. Wife now seeing them in counseling with joint custody but he has ultimate say if no agreement can be reached.

She has been divorced 9 years.

That is one of the questions, in his original filing he asked for legal fees to be paid and essentially that they live with him primary with joint custody. So I'm not sure if the relief is the legal definition of how custody would be allotted or his legal fees.
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 years ago.

Hello. First, she should telephone the family court -- clerk's office for civil / family court business and ask someone there if the court expects that your wife should file a written response to this nisi request or if the court simply expects her to appear and oppose the requests that he is making to the court (courts do this differently -- even two courts in the same county -- one may want a written response, the other just an appearance at the hearing -- it all depends upon what the chief judge at that particular court wants filed in each case). If you need to prepare a written response as well as appear at the hearing, your written response to this should be simple and to the point -- because the order nisi is really an order for her to appear and show just cause (which means testimony). It should be formatted at the top (court name, plaintiff v defendant, case number) just as prior paperwork in this case has been set up. Then after it is set up, you should center text a title "Answer to Plaintiff's Nisi Request to Show Just Cause"

and then a short paragraph under that stating something like "Now comes the Defendant and states that she will appear at the hearing to show just cause and counters Plaintiff's allegations herein and will further counter Plaintiff's allegations at the hearing, as follows:" , then start a new paragraph in numbered paragraph format, you need to counter each charge/allegation or request made by the Plaintiff (for example: 1. Plaintiff requests that Defendant pay Plaintiff's legal fees. Defendant objects to this request and states that Plaintiff's legal fees would not be so high or would be non-existent if Plaintiff did not bring so many frivolous action before the court in an attempt to interfere with Defendant's relationship with her children, 2......(then set out the next request and your wife's objection to it), 3. etc etc. Obviously, you and she need to sit down and write these responses out to each of the items he is requesting (if it is custody, and she wants custody returned to her, she should give a brief statement to that effect and state why -- but be brief). If you miss something in the written answer you can still bring it up at the hearing on these matters, but it is good to touch upon them if you can. Then she signs it at the bottom and puts a paragraph underneath that stating that "I have served the Plaintiff with a copy of this Response this ___ day of October, 2010 via US Mail (or in hand if she delivers it personally). She then takes/sends an original to the court (clerk's office) prior to the court date -- some courts will tell you that you should simply bring it with you on the court date and give it to the judge that day - and the judge may simply want to hear the testimony (if you do that, then do not give the ex a copy until just before she walks into the hearing, either). If the clerk's office office takes the response and files it, then she should mail a copy to the ex and keep a copy so she can use it as her "cue card" in court. I wish that I could write this up for you, but it is against our site rules for me to do that -- however, I think I gave you enough of a blueprint to help her write this up herself if she does need to file a written response.




Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. I am not paid a paycheck and Just Answer does not pay me for answering this question until you press ACCEPT when you are finished reviewing the answer. This website is a great resource for customers who could not otherwise afford to speak with an attorney and we will not be able to continue if customers who use our services do not press the ACCEPT button when they are finished. Sort of like paying it forward. THANK YOU !!

Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 14571
Experience: 13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Legalease and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    27+ years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 15 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions